This vegetable omelet is a large and filling portion for just 176 calories. Start the day off right with a serving of vegetables as well as 15 grams of protein. Amazingly, no added fat is needed to make this omelet.
3 tablespoons red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (28g)
3 tablespoons green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (28 g)
2 mushrooms, chopped
3⁄4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped, or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried (.3 g) (.5g)
3⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped, or 1⁄4 teaspoons dried (.3 g) (.5g)
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced (1g)
1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (.3 g)
1 egg, beaten
1⁄2 cup egg substitute (or 4 egg whites) (120mL)
2 tablespoons milk, fat-free (30mL)
2 teaspoons water (30 mL)
1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese, shredded, use Cone #1 (7g)
1 tablespoon Parmesan, Romano and Asiago cheese blend, grated (7g)
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, place red peppers, green peppers and mushrooms in skillet and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in rosemary, thyme, garlic and pepper. Sauté 1 minute longer. Transfer sautéed vegetables to plate or bowl.
- Blend egg, egg substitute and milk in small bowl.
- Wash skillet and heat again over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, add egg mixture to skillet. Using a teaspoon, carefully drop water around edges of egg mixture. Cover immediately and reduce heat to low. Cook 2 – 3 minutes or until almost set.
- Uncover and sprinkle vegetable mixture and cheese into center of omelet. Using a turner with a sharp edge, carefully lift 1⁄3 of the omelet and fold over center to partially cover filling. Repeat with the opposite side.
- Continue cooking, covered, approximately 1 minute or until fully set. Slide turner under omelet, tilt skillet and carefully lift omelet to serving plate.
- In a hurry? Sauté vegetables the night before and refrigerate.